Let me start by saying that building a list is a long journey. There’s no magical quick fix. Stick with it, and slowly but surely you will have a solid base of prospects to build a relationship with.
But there is absolute truth in the marketing mantra: The Money Is In Your List.
And for that reason, you MUST start List Building as soon as possible.
Building a list is one of the most important things you’ll do for your business. By nurturing this list you are able to build trust and credibility with your target audience (aka Dream Clients) with a view to them taking the steps to work with you.
There are many ways to list-build, many of which are free - but these do tend to be slow.
List-building can however happen quickly using a good list-building funnel and typically happens in this order:
- A Facebook Advert
- A Landing Page with a form to fill in name and email address
- A Free Offer Download (called a Lead Magnet)
- Follow up emails and newsletters
1. YOUR FACEBOOK ADVERT is how you will drill down into your target audience and have an advert pull them to your landing page with the prospect of getting something for free. I’m going to leave the ins and outs of Facebook ads for another time, but if you’re interested in learning more, Amy Porterfield has a great podcast about Facebook ad targeting HERE. (I also cover facebook ads in great detail specifically for health coaches with industry facebook as guru Julie Lowe in my UPswing Mastermind for Health Coaches.
2. YOUR LANDING PAGE is where your prospect will ‘land’ once they’ve clicked on your Facebook ad. It’s a webpage with a form asking for their name and email address. This form will be linked to your email marketing software (Mailchimp or Aweber are popular).
Your landing page needs to be a page where your prospect only has one option to click on, and that’s the SUBMIT button of your form. The idea with your list building goal is to not lose your prospect to other links on the page. Leadpages is probably the most popular platform for building landing pages. It is affordable and easy to use, with thousands of pre-made templates for you to tweak to suit your brand.
3. YOUR LEAD MAGNET is a piece of content that your dream client will be super happy to get their hands on. They’ll jump at the chance to give you their email address in exchange for this awesome piece of content.
Knowing your audience better than they know themselves will help you to create EXACTLY what they are looking for but didn’t realise it. If you haven’t identified who your dream clients are yet, you’ll find
4 Ways to Identify Your Health Coaching Target Audience (aka Dream Clients) HERE.
Your Lead Magnet doesn’t have to be a grandiose piece of work – it can be a free meal planner, recipes, a short eBook or training video.
4. YOUR FOLLOW UP EMAILS AND NEWSLETTERS are what are going to keep people who’ve joined your list engaged.
Once you have their name and email address, you can keep in regular contact with your prospects.
Talk to them in their own language about their pain point and give them a solution.
Newsletters are a fabulous means of nurturing and building trust with your subscribers so they eventually want to buy your products or services and keep coming back for more.
The general rule of thumb for newsletter content is: include something personal, like a story about what you’ve been up to. Your content might include an intro to your blog, followed by a promotion for someone else, along with showcasing somewhere you’ve recently been features, and a link to your new eBook. Anything goes, really. Keep it personal, and make it your own.
You should always add an offer of a complementary discovery session, or a link to check out your coaching program.
Another element in your newsletter marketing can be to set up autoresponders which deliver a series of scheduled emails to your audience once they have opted in.
Autoresponders allow you to build a series of emails to send over a period of time (hours, days, weeks, more). You can design, schedule and test your automated emails and track how many people open them.
Automation offers a more custom experience for individual subscribers, based on their activity. For example, if they read about a product you’re selling in one of your newsletters, and then click on the link to find out more, you can set up an automated email to go specifically to subscribers who have taken these action steps and follow up on their interest in your product.
Autoresponders also streamline your communications process. By organizing recurring campaigns, you can reach the right subscribers at the right time, for example, sending out a simple birthday coupon or a complex series of sales, event-related or fundraising messages.
For more on Email Marketing, Autoresponders and crafting emails that convert opt-ins to orders, have a look at Orissa Feeney – Email Marketing for Beginners.
And there you have it: List Building 101. Start, as soon as you can, even if you have other things going on in your life or business. Have this ticking over in the background so that when you’re ready to take things to the next level you have an engaged, eager following.
In my Upswing Mastermind, I go into detail about creating your facebook ads, designing your landing page in Leadpages and integrating it with Mailchimp. I walk you step by step through my exact process for building a list for your Health Coaching business.