I have loved building a business that creates a ‘freedom-based’ lifestyle. After all, ‘freedom’ is one of my top values.
The internet is full of claims of how to ‘gain freedom’ from becoming a coach or entrepreneur. Freedom is one of, if not the biggest drawcards for people wanting to start their own business.
But here’s the truth.
For me, freedom is not my greatest goal. That’s right, it’s not my dream destination.
While I value not having a boss and not having to work set hours, and while I love ‘passive income’, if I have to be totally honest, sitting on a beach doing no work for the rest of my life would drive me insane.
I was born with great gifts to share with the world – and I don’t want to limit sharing them just because I have an end goal of personal freedom. My goal is to use them to create the highest impact in the world possible. You just can’t put a limit on that!
I just can’t see myself in my 80’s, saying how happy I was to stop working. Why would I want to STOP using my gifts and giving life my all?
My life completely shifted when I tapped into my own WHY of knowing I am here to support Health Coaches and Wellness Entrepreneurs to rise - to be visible, to be heard and to make the MASSIVE IMPACT the world needs from your skills.
The fire within has never stopped blazing since I tapped into that truth - and honestly, I don't see that stopping just because my business reaches a point of 'freedom' - it's just not what drives me at the core.
I’d been thinking about this for quite a while when I heard my own mentor talk about this in a unique way in Austin in February.
He shared with us this model:
These are the 7 stages:
1. Discovery: Discovering who you will work with, what you will offer them and what they will buy. The foundations of your business. (This stage can not be skipped)
2. Confidence: Consistent clients and income. You are confident on the product or service you offer and are building confidence through learning to market that.
3. Excellence: Building your brand for greater leadership, visibility and expert status so that you can serve even more people. What will you be the best in the world at?
4. Freedom: Team building, systems and operations. The focus is on how to make the business work for you - and you are now working ON the business more than IN it.
5. Reflection: Am I happy with a level 4 business? Or do I desire level 7? There is no right/wrong answer here, it is a time of reflection to discover what is true to you.
6. Impact: Massive change in both thinking and operations of a level 4 business. The foundations are being laid for MASSIVE impact and scale.
7. Legacy: How will you and your business have changed the world in 100 years? This is where your purpose become fulfilled and you make the difference you are here to make.
At Stage 4 ‘freedom’ is where a huge decision point comes in for entrepreneurs. To go beyond stage 4 cannot be done alone – it takes a team.
There is also a MASSIVE difference in how a business is run at stage 3 ‘Excellence’, 4 ‘Freedom’ and 7 'Legacy’.
Most entrepreneurs set stage 4 as their dream outcome [what does the dream outcome offer them; why do they choose this?].
It’s a personal choice, for sure – and one that I think most health coaches would be stoked to achieve.
So, here I am on the verge of stage 4 in my business, and – honestly – I can think of nothing more boring than stopping there. I just can’t see it happening for me.
Life is about expansion. There is always something calling us forward. There is always something more to be experienced and created and given. There is always potential for enormous impact to be made.
I see my work as helping women reach their absolute fullest potential (that is the way you will help others) - so the more I keep doing so, the ripple effect will continue. And I am yet to find there is a limit to how much expansion is possible.
Talk about an AWESOME career!!
So how about you? I’m curious…. Do you truly want ‘freedom’ as your final outcome? Or are you committed to having MASSIVE IMPACT in the world and leaving a true legacy – the legacy you were born to leave?
Let me know in the comments your own thoughts on this topic.