I'm back in Sydney after 2 glorious weeks in Bali - seriously I think Bali is THE perfect holiday spot in the world. Warm, sunny, loving people, raw food and yoga galore! #bliss
A key thought that arose for me when I stopped 'working' while on holiday was that I personally have a deep knowing that you are MEANT to get your health work out to the world now - the world is so ready for what you have to offer - and I think deep down you know this too.
So why then would you keep getting in your own way???
On one hand you want nothing more than to build your business and help as many people as possible. On the other hand, you seem to keep going round in circles.
I hear you! For way too long I was stuck in my head trying to 'work it all out'. When I changed my mindset to believe that I was MEANT to be getting my work out to the world and am ALWAYS SUPPORTED in doing so, then I started trusting and taking imperfect action despite my fears.
You see we have a sneaky monkey-mind (or Ego) that likes to jump in and fill us with fear when venturing into this new territory of business.
The monkey mind tells us 'nothing is working', 'it's not going to work for you', 'you are not expert enough yet', 'who do you think you are to charge for this' and on it goes.... Creating a barrage of negative thoughts that keep you playing small.
Listening to our Monkey-Mind causes us to Self-Sabotage!
But what if those monkey-messages were not the truth?
What if you got out of your own way and started taking imperfect action in your business every day KNOWING that you are MEANT to do this and are fully supported?
How would you act differently if this were to change?
For me this changed everything and today I wanted to share with you 7 things I do regularly that keep me building my business from my heart, not my head.
- I started journalling 3 pages a day after learning 'Morning Pages' from Julia Cameron's book The Artists Way about 9 years ago and have never stopped. It is my number one go-to for getting everything out of my head and onto paper.
- I alternate in my approaches to Meditation depending on what I am focusing on or working through. I was recently introduced to the new 1 Giant Mind phone app which I am LOVING. Daily meditation will change your approach to your business dramatically, and the app is perfect to pull out any time of the day if you catch yourself being run by Mr Monkey Mind.
3. Working Out
- I have realised that there is a direct link to my Monkey Mind playing up when I am not regularly exercising. For the last year I have committed to my exercise routine by having my Personal Trainer come to me at home twice a week, and whenever possible I love to take the afternoon off to walk around the rocks with a girlfriend.
- When we spend so much time in our heads, we can literally get stuck there. Yoga connects me back to my body, heart and breathe like clockwork. I have a wee yoga corner set up in my office to practise Restorative Yoga which is my favourite and I have done several yoga retreats this year to deeply reset, let go and connect to MY truth.
4. Angel Cards
- Every morning and night I pull an Angel Card (or other card deck) to help me connect to my inner guidance. I also work with these when coaching to remind myself and my clients to get out of our own way. My favourite card decks for business are 'Success Cards' by Deepak Chopra and 'Money and the Law of Attraction' cards by Esther and Jerry Hicks.
5. Taking Proper Breaks
- The catch-cry of the coaching industry can be 'work from anywhere' and while I CAN do that, in general I choose not to. Why? Because when I book a holiday it is important to me to have time completely disconnected. I do regularly work in different locations around the world, but I set clear boundaries on what is 'work' and what is a 'break'. I spent the last 2 weeks in Bali and the first week was work, the second a complete break. Weekends are also breaks and other than during 'launch periods', I don't work at night. Work smart and hustle when you are 'on' and then allow yourself to properly turn 'off'.
6. Intention Setting with Essential Oils
- Essential Oils can quickly change your emotional state. I work with the highest quality oils and my favs are labelled with an intention which I believe works on 2 fronts. First by the power of my thought behind using that oil and secondly the vibration in the oil itself. My fav oils are made by my friend Michelle of Sacred Self - 'Abundance', 'Passion', 'Truth' and 'Self Love' are some of my favs to work with in business.
7. Reading Books on Wealth Consciousness
- Approaching business and money from an energy perspective is a great way to get out of our heads and connect with the bigger picture. A couple of my go-to books are 'The Science of Getting Rich' by Wallace D Wattles, 'Money a Love Story' by Kate Northrup and 'Sacred Success' by Barbara Stanny.
On top of these tools, I always find that remembering that my work is not 'about me' and keeping focused on how I can serve those who need it most is key in staying out of my own way and creating self-sabotage.
I'd love to hear in the comments below which of these techniques you are going to commit to for yourself. And please share any of your own tips on how you overcome self-sabotage in your business.